incognito adj : with your identity concealed [syn: incognito(p)] adv : without revealing one's identity; "in Holland he lived incognito as a carpenter in the shipyards of the East India company"
EtymologyFrom incognitus, unknown (in- not + cognitus known, past participle of cognoscere); via incognito. Also French incognito, from Italian.
- Without being known; in disguise; in an assumed character, or under an assumed title
Usage notesThis term is said especially of great personages who sometimes adopt a disguise or an assumed character in order to avoid notice.
- 'Twas long ago/Since gods come down incognito. —Prior.
- The prince royal of Persia came thither incognito. —Tatler.
Without being known; in disguise; in an assumed character, or under an assumed title
- Finnish: tuntematon
- without revealing one's identity
without revealing one's identity
- Finnish: tuntemattomana
- One unknown or in disguise, or under an assumed character or name.
- The assumption of disguise or of a feigned character; the state of being in disguise or not recognized.
- His incognito was endangered. —Sir W. Scott.
Incognito ("unknown", from Latin incognitus) may refer to:
In other uses:
- Incognegro, an album by Ludacris
incognito in French: Incognito
incognito in Indonesian: Incognito
incognito in Dutch: Incognito
incognito in Russian: Инкогнито
anonym, anonymity, anonymous, anonymousness, camouflage, camouflaged, closed meeting, closet, concealed, confidentiality, confidentialness, cryptonymic, cryptonymous, disguise, disguised, domino, executive session, false colors, false face, false front, guisard, guiser, impersonator, in disguise, incog, incognita, inmost, innermost, innominate, interior, intimate, inward, isolated, isolation, mask, masked, masker, masque, masquerade, masquerader, masquerading, mummer, mummery, nameless, namelessness, on the sly, personal, privacy, private, private conference, privy, protective coloration, retired, retirement, secluded, seclusion, secretly, sequestered, sequestration, smoke screen, unacknowledged, undefined, under cover, undesignated, unidentified, unknown, unnamed, unrecognizable, unrecognized, unspecified, visor, vizard, vizard mask, withdrawn, without a name